The government is providing £150 million per annum for the academic years 2013/14, to 2017/18 to provide substantial new funding for primary school sport. The funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health, and Culture, Media and Sport, with the money going directly to primary school Headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their pupil. Each school will receive £16,000 plus £10 per pupil for the next two years.
DfE recommendations on how this funding should be spent:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE;
- supporting and engaging the least active pupil through new or additional Change4Life clubs;
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport;
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport;
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils' participation in the School Games;
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
You can view Parkwood's Sports Grant statement for 2017-2018 here.